My Little Pockets of Peace at Home

One of the ways I practice purposeful living is through having bits and pieces of visually aesthetic things around the house. Now don't get me wrong – I don’t intend on being unrealistic. An old part of me that remains is my inclination for organized chaos and relaxed maximalism.

But to me, living a slow, intentional life means making a conscious effort to experience every iota of time – to really live in it instead of wondering years later where all the time went (as I already have until recently).  

That's why I spent so much time taking care of my plants and decorating my space during the pandemic! 


When the world stood still, I realized how much I'd been taking for granted. 

Living area in our old apartment

So now, aside from my potted and water-propagated plants, I like placing repurposed bud vases on top of counters or surfaces where my cats don't normally go.

The flowers are from my own plants that are currently at my mom's. I have several flowering plants that I asked my mom to take care of when my husband and I moved out of our old apartment. We just don't have a lot of space right now so I'm only able to maintain about ten ornamental plants. I probably had a hundred plants at our old apartment, if not more.

One side of my mini garden at the back of our old home

Floral stems don't need a lot of maintaining, they wither after a few days, and they're ideal for our current set-up in our cottage. I can also dry and preserve them if I want to for DIY projects and decorations.

Everything in this centerpiece is repurposed!

So what kind of containers or jars can you recycle and repurpose for small flowers? Here's a list of mine:

  • Smallest size garlic chili oil jars
  • McCormick condiment jars or any small spice jars
  • Plastic noodle cups
  • Yakult bottles
  • Makeup, skin care, medicine, or perfume bottles
  • Shot glass (it's not just for drinking alcohol!)


“Intentional living is the art of making our own choices before others' choices make us.”

– RICHIE NORTON


I appreciate and admire the minimalist lifestyle. I really do. And I'm so thrilled for those who find that it works for them. As for me, I think my personality is more predisposed to creative maximalism.

Whether it's making latte with a recipe I found on TikTok, or making the bed and styling it with thrifted floral sheets, or lighting a candle, or burning incense, or tending the plants, or playing with my pets, or washing the dishes, I work on being intentional about every moment of each activity.

Even when I'm resting, I’m meditating on gratitude and my heart's desires. Sometimes even when I'm doing nothing physically, I'm doing something mentally. So you can say it's like carpe diem for the homebody. Hermit style!

Comments